The latest update from Andrea O’Reilly regarding the impending closure of ARM is below, along with several suggestions of how we all can help and links to some of the wide publicity that this action has received.
With the outpouring of support —300 plus letters recd in 5 days and extensive media coverage (please see below) Demeter Press (and we hope ARM and JARM) will continue with or without York’s support.
PLEASE VISIT ARM’S WEBSITE OR FRIENDS OF ARM FACEBOOK PAGE FOR REGULAR UPDATES ON ARM AND JARM
We are asking ARM members and supporters to:
1) Write a letter, however brief, to York officials listed in the ARM closure
email (It may be found on arm’s website http://www.yorku.ca/arm).In less than 5 days, 300 letters have been received. Also, I understand that Associate Dean Crow is sending a form letter in her reply to concerned individuals. Many people have emailed inquiring on how they should respond to this note and its misrepresentation of information: “York has provided significant financial
support” and that I, as director “chose to close ARM”. If you are so inclined
please respond to Associate Dean Crow and ask her to please detail/specify what this significant financial support has been and secondly to question her
statement that i choose to close ARM (As I have said to individuals who have
asked for more clarification on this: Such a situation may be likened to an
individual at the edge of a cliff with a loaded gun to her head who “chose” to
2) Distribute widely this email, the media coverage (see below) and the ARM
closure letter; contact your local media. Join the “Fan of ARM Facebook Page”
3) Send to arm and myself any and all ideas/leads/contact for funding for
arm/jarm/Demeter press post York.
4) Please purchase a Demeter Press title from ARM/Demeter Press page or Demeter Press new site http://www.demeterpress.org with a cheque payable to Demeter Press. Or make a donation to Demeter Press. And encourage your library, friends, colleagues etc to do the same. York is disgracefully not honouring invoices and thus our production people have not been paid for their just completed work on Demeter Press’ most recent title Mothering in Canada originally scheduled to go to printing this week. With the money generated from Demeter Press sales the production staff can be paid for the work completed and we can move this title to printing and get our other 2010 titles into production. DEMETER PRESS HAS A NEW WEBSITE demeterpress.org. The Demeter Press catalogue as well as all forthcoming titles are listed on the site. Again please purchase and/or
pre-order Demeter Press titles with a cheque payable to Demeter Press. (TAX is NO longer being charged so please ignore this part of the order form). Again
cheques are to be made payable to DEMETER PRESS. We are currently securing a postal box for Demeter Press but until this is set up, please send order forms/cheques to Demeter Press at the York address. THANK YOU
5) Contact Kate Sanagan at firstname.lastname@example.org concerning the fundraising
initiative. And if you are able to raise funds/donate money to save
ARM/JARM/Demeter Press please make cheque payable to Demeter Press
We will keep you posted!!!!
With the deepest appreciation,
andrea oreilly and renee knapp
PLEASE SEE RECENT MEDIA COVERAGE. PLEASE DISTRIBUTE WIDELY!!!!!!!
The forced closure of ARM story was included in the CBC radio hourly news show, all day Friday March 5, 2010.